Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's about being fruitful... Part 1

“I AM the True Vine, and My Father is the Vinedresser. Any branch in Me that does not bear fruit [that stops bearing] He cuts away (trims off, takes away); and He cleanses and repeatedly prunes every branch that continues to bear fruit, to make it bear more and richer and more excellent fruit. You are cleansed and pruned already, because of the word which I have given you [the teachings I have discussed with you]. Dwell in Me, and I will dwell in you. [Live in Me, and I will live in you.] Just as no branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to) the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you abide in Me. I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing. If a person does not dwell in Me, he is thrown out like a [broken-off] branch, and withers; such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, and they are burned. If you live in Me [abide vitally united to Me] and My words remain in you and continue to live in your hearts, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you. When you bear (produce) much fruit, My Father is honored and glorified, and you show and prove yourselves to be true followers of Mine.”
(John 15:1-8 AMP)

What a startling passage of scripture. As a follower of Jesus I am expected to bear fruit. Just like a vineyard owner who plants grape vines and works with the goal of grape production in mind, God works in my life with the goal in mind of me producing much fruit.

But what sort of fruit is it Jesus is talking about? Some would say the fruit of the Spirit as found in Galatians 5, others might say it is good deeds and good character as found in John 5, and still others might say it is people being won into the Kingdom through my life. I would say it is all of that and perhaps more.

1. The Fruit of the Spirit - I believe that the Fruit of the Spirit is simply that - the Fruit of the Spirit - it is His presence and operation in my life which produces love, joy, peace, etc. But that is His fruit and my submission to His inner workings in me. It is like the sap that runs through the branch and gives it life and the ability to produce life. But this is not all there is to fruit.

2. Good deeds and good character - I believe this is like having good-looking healthy leaves on a branch. As I submit myself to the inner workings of the Holy Spirit in my life and His fruit begins to become evident that is will begin producing good character and good deeds. Through my good character and good deeds (because of Him working in me), I will begin making an eternal impact in the world around me - peoples' lives will be influenced for God's glory. But this is not all there is to fruit.

3. People being won into the Kingdom through my life. I believe this is the ultimate fruit that can be born through a believer's life and it is a huge mark of distinction that God is up to something significant in someone. If I am a grape vine then I should produce grapes. If I am a follower of Jesus, then I should produce other followers of Jesus and the only way this will take place is through abiding in Jesus.

Jesus told his followers that they needed to be vitally united to Him, to dwell in Him. Up to that point they had been with Jesus in a physical sense but He is now preparing them to relate to Him on a whole other level. He had taught them and showed them and evaluated their exploits as they went out, now it was time for them to do it without His physical presence being with them. They needed to learn to abide in the Spirit and still produce fruit for the glory of God's Kingdom.

More on God's vinedressing work in our lives in the next installment...
Blessings

No comments: