Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leading in a Land of Giants...

If I was to say that phrase to you what would be the first thought to enter your mind? Possibly you would think about Caleb who took his mountain after the entrance into the Promised Land and purposed to cleanse it of the giants who lived there. Or maybe it would be about David battling Goliath or perhaps the giant killers that David raised up... And all of those are great answers, leadership is seen in all of those instances and those people Lead in a Land of Giants.

But what caused me to consider another view was when I recently heard Kris Vallotton of Bethel Church in Redding, CA. tell of an interaction he had with God. He told how God told him to be ready to lead in the Land of Giants. Kris asked Him what He meant by that statement and God told him he would lead men and women who were spiritual giants after he co-labored with the Spirit to raise them to a greater spiritual stature than he reached... That while leading them, he would be towered over by their abilities and anointings but they would follow him because of honor for their spiritual father...

WoW what an intimidating thought... to lead people more gifted, more anointed, more might in spiritual power, etc. In the world the leader is usually the loudest, the strongest or the best at any given thing but in the Kingdom we are to esteem others' more than ourselves, we are to be the platform for others' success, and we are to draw out the treasure through honor.

This may not be the call of every leader in the Kingdom but we are to be building people and drawing the treasure from the earthen vessels and we are to honor not only those that lead us but those who we lead with and those we lead...

But even still, what do I do with the people He entrusts to me? John 10 is an awesome example of what a leader should be like with His people. In contrast is Ezekiel 34...

Imagine us taking the call to disciple people seriously and then making our goal raising them to greater heights than we've attained. To see Christianity as more than mere information transfer but to impart the true life of Christ because it flows through us. Elijah passed his mantle to Elisha and he went on to walk in a double portion of the anointing - he had what was his and what was Elijah's. Jesus told His disciples, "The things I do, you will do greater." And there are several biblical examples that they did...

“My anger is kindled against the shepherds [who are not true shepherds] and I will punish the goat leaders, for the Lord of hosts has visited His flock, the house of Judah, and will make them as His beautiful and majestic horse in the battle.”
(Zechariah 10:3 AMP)

Sheep to WarHorses... what a picture of Kingdom transformation...

For me, this is a high call and challenge that I want to take on. I want to be able to lead people who are more of Christ than I so that they can do and have more than I have had or will have... But I will have to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him. I will have to be healed of my intimidation and insecurity and lead like Jesus lead.

I do not want to be a leader who merely leads people - I want the grace to leader leaders who in turn lead leaders... because the harvest is so great and the laborers (God's shepherds) are few.

I love what Jesus did in Mark 6. After making the statement about honor not being available in your home town He calls his Apostles to Himself and sends them out... almost saying, "Ok, so you couldn't Me - here deal with My Apostles..."

"Break our hearts, change our lives, raise us up to be Your leaders Lord..."

No comments: